Aranos has been proclaimed on the 15th of January 1958 as a Village, according to Ordinance no.16 of 1937. On 01 September 2010, Aranos was proclaimed a town by the Minister of Regional and Local Government and Rural Development via Government Gazette No. 4556. The current council consists of seven (7) elected members which include a mayor, deputy mayor, a management committee and ordinary members. The staff structure consists of the Chief Executive Officer, who is the head of administration and two department heads for finance, administration and HR and one for Technical Services and Engineering. The newly staff structure makes provision for 39 positions although only 18 positions are currently filled.